Why This Ministry?
Our work is to continue to encourage Pullenites to welcome and affirm all persons regardless of sexual or gender orientation and to encourage LGBTQ Pullenites to fully engage in the life of the church.
The LGBTQ Fellowship, as part of the Pullen faith community, seeks to:
- Help same-gender-loving people integrate into the life and ministry of the church and provide safe places for our community to be together.
- Partner with other advocacy and LGBTQ groups in our community to work for equality and justice for members of our community.
- Educate the Pullen congregation and community about justice and equality issues affecting the LGBTQ community.
Who We Are
Pullen Memorial Baptist Church is a LGBTQ affirming, courageous, authentic community of faith. Yes, you read that right – we are Baptists.
We are not afraid to struggle with difficult questions of faith. After lengthy discussion and prayer, in 1992, Pullen endorsed unqualified acceptance of gay/lesbian Christians. Within a year Pullen was excluded from the Raleigh Baptist Association, the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina, and the Southern Baptist Convention.
We are proud to be a founding congregation of the LGBTQ affirming Alliance of Baptists and early members of the Association of Welcoming and Affirming Baptists.
Contact us: Pullen LGBTQ Committee
Engaging in the Life of the Church
- Sunday School (9:45-10:45 AM)
- Sunday Worship (11:00 AM)
- Wednesday night supper and program (5:15 PM)
- POW Pullen Outdoor Weekend – Memorial Day weekend
- Biennial Church-Wide Retreat
- Opportunities to volunteer in youth and children’s ministries
- Opportunities to serve on church committees and participate in mission groups.
Second Sunday lunch at a nearby restaurant
Potluck every other month, alternating locations between homes and the church
Participation in such things as:
- NC Pride march
- Alliance of Baptists Convocations
- Wake County Public School System Diversity Efforts
Pullen’s LGBT Fellowship
Join members of Pullen’s lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender fellowship for a variety of gatherings and programs throughout the year. Receive information about special events and outings.
Second Sunday Lunches
We gather for lunch at a nearby restaurant immediately following worship on the second Sunday of each month. This is a great way to stay in touch with old friends. If you are new, a lunch host will introduce you to others and update you on upcoming events. Check the LGBT email or the Sunday Update for the location.
We gather at the home of a member or at the church every other month for a potluck and fellowship. Bring a dish and enjoy good food and conversation. Announcements are sent to the email list and are noted in the Sunday Update.
LGBTQ and Straight Allies Support Group
This support group is open to all LGBT friends, families, and straight allies who wish to share and be heard in a safe non-judgmental atmosphere. The group offers a supportive, caring, and confidential space for sharing of joys and frustrations. Meetings are held from 7:00 – 8:30 PM on the third Monday of each month in the chapel. Contact: Jill Hinton
LGBTQ Fellowship Email List
We have a LGBT email list for persons who wish to receive information regarding planned activities, special announcements, and church news. If you would like to add your name to the list, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. (This list is confidential and will not be shared with anyone.)
LGBTQ Coordinating Committee
There are six persons who serve on this committee. They coordinate and plan activities and inform our membership of announcements and happenings important to this group.