The Coordinating Council warmly invites all members and others to a special business meeting of Pullen Memorial Baptist Church following the worship service on Sunday, March 23. Because it is the fourth Sunday in March, refreshments will be available in Finlator Hall for our usual meet and greet activity. After an appropriate time for visiting, our business meeting will convene, also in Finlator Hall. Childcare will be provided.
The purpose of our meeting is to receive and vote on three motions from the Personnel Committee to update statements in the job description and Bylaws regarding the Church Administrator position. Full details and discussion are included in the statement below from the Personnel Committee. The membership may consider or take action only on the items on the agenda below. Voting on these motions is restricted to Pullen members.
Ground Rules for Congregational Meetings
- Please come to the microphone up front before addressing the assembly.
- Be recognized by the moderator.
- Introduce yourself.
- Speak to the topic and be concise.
- Allow everyone to speak before asking to speak for a second time.
- Allow all to speak before we vote.
- Please do not call the question while people still wish to speak.
- Please remember that you must be a Pullen member to vote. Being a member is defined as having requested membership and having been welcomed by the congregation.
Since July 2013, the church has been without a permanent Church Administrator. The Personnel Committee held listening sessions concerning this position on February 5 and February 9. Background on the history of the Church Administrator position and discussion points on the existing bylaws and job description are available at www.pullen.org/admin.
After deliberation about this position, the Personnel Committee brings forth the following motions for consideration at the March 23 called congregational meeting.
The Personnel Committee moves as follows:
- From the current job description for Church Administrator, under the section labeled “Qualifications,” delete “Not a member of Pullen at the time of hire.”
- From the current Bylaws, Article, II, amend line 400 “Non-Elected Staff” to “Non-Elected Staff Recommended by Pastor.”
- From the current Bylaws, Article II, under the category “Elected Staff,” delete the section on Church Administrator, to wit, lines 291 – 306. Following the section titled “Other Elected Staff,” add the section below:
Non-Elected Staff Recommended by Search Committee and Pastor
The search committee shall be appointed by the Coordinating Council. The search committee shall be composed of a committee of six to ten members, including at least one member of the Coordinating Council, the Personnel Committee, the Buildings and Grounds Committee, the Finance Committee, the Technology Committee, and one Church Office Volunteer. The Pastor shall be a member (ex officio), without vote. The search committee and Pastor shall recommend to the Personnel Committee a candidate for its approval.
Conditions of Employment and Tenure
The person in this position shall be hired by the Personnel Committee upon recommendation of the Search Committee and Pastor. Vacant positions shall be advertised and equal opportunity shall be provided to all applicants. The condition of employment and tenure shall be subject to the Personnel Policies of the Church.
To be responsible for implementing the administrative work of the church under the direction of the Pastor and the Coordinating Council. The Personnel Committee shall provide a specific job description. Any significant changes in a job description will require approval by the Coordinating Council and then the membership at a church business meeting. Minor changes will be approved by the Coordinating Council.
- Is supervised by the Pastor
- Supervises Financial/Administrative Specialist, office staff, custodian(s) and volunteers
- Works cooperatively with Coordinating Council, Building and Grounds Committee, Finance Committee, Technology Committee, and all staff
- Is an ex officio member, without vote, of the Coordinating Council
The Personnel Committee asserts that allowing all qualified applicants to apply for the Church Administrator position is in line with all other church positions and is in keeping with Pullen’s open and inclusive nature. We trust that an appropriately selected candidate, regardless of church membership, will appreciate the importance of being objective and the confidential nature of parts of this job. Supervision by the Pastor and oversight by the Personnel Committee will ensure adherence to these tenets.
We also believe that designating the Church Administrator as a non-elected position and requiring a representative search committee selection and Pastor recommendation will allow for both a thorough search and more nimbleness in the hiring process. We trust that this search committee and the Pastor can be appropriately impartial to both internal and external candidates. Finally, applying personnel policies to this position, rather than the congregational election process, will allow for more efficient management of the Church Administrator after employment.
We appreciate your prayerful consideration of these motions.